Are we headed for a singularity in the form of an AI human overmind or

I started thinking about this somewhat after listening to a WAAY out there podcast from Duncan Trussel and Jason Silva. They talk about all kinds of futuristic ideas and one of them is the idea that we are headed for a singularity.

Another example is what TMK talks about here, but I’ve been hearing similar fears out of people like Sam Harris and even Musk.

EDIT
I think the basic idea is that we are approaching a culmination of technological advancement and human achievement, what many refer to as the Singularity. This even is schedule for sometime this century. Some believed it would happen in 2012. As we get closer, our predicament becomes more and more precarious. Our very survival as a species will reach a tipping point that will result in either our extinction or our transcendence.
thougthts?

This is a perfect forum topic for discussion.

We as in the planet is moving toward one or what? Timeframe?

I think the basic idea is that we are approaching a culmination of technological advancement and human achievement, what many refer to as the Singularity. This even is schedule for sometime this century. Some believed it would happen in 2012. As we get closer, our predicament becomes more and more precarious. Our very survival as a species will reach a tipping point that will result in either our extinction or our transcendence.

oh just wondering because im more familiar with that term being used to describe a black hole

Well, in a sense this could be the beginning of a black hole if you think of black holes as advanced civilizations that have transcended space / time to become their own singularity. They actually talk about that in the DTFH pod I linked above.

There is a couple of hypothesis that i thought were interesting and one of them was called the “transcension hypothesis” relating to the density of information and as we approach the limit we create our own black hole.
http://brighterbrains.org/articles/entry/the-transcension-hypothesis-an-intriguing-answer-to-the-fermi-paradox

‘Energy efficiency acceleration has also been shown to be smoothly logarithmic for at least the last few hundred years, across a broad variety of lighting, power, computation, and communications technologies and nanotechnologies. Note also that the higher the energy flow density of any system, the closer the system approaches the universal density limit—a black hole.’

How come this post aint on the main page?

What is the main page?

I have a couple of quick thoughts on this one. I’ll try to expand on them a bit further later.

• I don’t think “The Singularity” is anywhere near as close as these people make it out to be. Exponential graphs look scary at any point in time.
  • I think we’ll become augmented humans. I think the next big technology breakthrough will be a superior human-machine interface.
  • Likening the “The Singularity” to adding multiple dimensions and suggesting taking psychedelics to prepare for it is complete hippy mumbo jumbo nonsense.

We’re on a large rock hurtling through space. Nobody knows why. Everything people know is based entirely on an assumption that reality is a certain way, but the truth is we have no idea what reality even is. Every firm belief is built upon this foundation of no idea. From this perspective, every firm belief is insane. The firmer the belief, the more insane.

Completely embracing our inability to know the true nature of reality, the foundation upon which every thought, idea, opinion, or belief is built, is the beginning of the end of the reign of the mind.

Earth, 114 million years ago, one morning just after sunrise: the first flower ever to appear on the planet opens up to receive the rays of the sun. Prior to this momentous event that heralds an evolutionary transformation in the life of plants, the planet had already been covered in vegetation for millions of years. The first flower probably did not survive for long, and flowers must have remained rare and isolated phenomena, since conditions were most likely not yet favorable for a widespread flowering to occur. One day, however, a critical threshold was reached, and suddenly there would have been an explosion of color and scent all over the planet - if a perceiving consciousness had been there to witness it.

Is humanity ready for a transformation of consciousness, an inner flowering so radical and profound that compared to it the flowering of plants, no matter how beautiful, is only a pale reflection? Can human beings lose the density of their conditioned mind structures and become like crystals or precious stones, so to speak, transparent to the light of consciousness? Can they defy the gravitational pull of materialism and materiality and rise above identification with form that keeps the ego in place and condemns them to imprisonment within their own personality?

Life will give you whatever experience is most helpful for the evolution of your consciousness. How do you know this is the experience you need? Because this is the experience you are having at the moment.